Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

29 August 2008

Foods that deserve a special Mention... updated as I see fit:

There are a few foods that are must haves on the Jorgensen shopping list. I feel like we’re constantly adding to this list, and will keep you updated as it hopefully grows. The following foods have a little synopsis as to why we use them over others. My hope is that perhaps you’ll want to give them a try and taste the difference a more natural product can make!

Aluminum Free Baking Powder - Actually makes food raise better from our experience, and without the aluminum. No, I can’t tell you exactly why they add it in the stuff you probably have in your cupboard, it just doesn’t sound right. Plus it works better without it, so why ingest something that isn’t necessary especially when it’s aluminum... last I checked that’s what I use to keep hot foods hot or to keep them from burning in the oven.
Daisy Sour Cream -The only one that is just made from milk. I thought that you couldn’t get sour cream without having huge words in it that you can’t pronounce, but thanks to my mommy I spend a little extra for the good stuff.
Organic Ketchup - No Corn Syrup..., but doesn’t that make it just smashed tomato? I know it’s crazy, but they actually use plain sugar! Who knew, making food before science gave us the killer that is corn syrup was possible?
Bull’s Eye BBQ Sauce -They have a new no High Fructose Corn Syrup recipe (It’s right on the label!!) So, kuddos to them for turning the tide and going back to real foods.
TreeTop Applesauce -Just apples and citric acid (a necessary addition to help preserve it.)
Natures Way Rice -You make this rice by Rice a Roni with olive oil and it's really yummy.
Olive Oil -Enough said. It’s worth it to get the good stuff.
Butter -Say what you will, but REAL BUTTER IS THE BEST FOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH. Eating things that have been created in a lab isn’t good for you. I would much rather eat a product that has an ingredient that says milk/cream (and salt if you feel so inclined... we, however, decline :-D) over something that has 30 ingredients, more than half of which I have no idea what they are, nor can I pronounce them. Just use some common sense and moderate use.
Kashi (TLC) ANYTHING....most specifically granola bars. They have awesome chocolate chip ones and just came out with some soft fruit ones.) No Corn Syrup or yucky stuff.
Organic Cane Sugar - Not bleached.... enough said.
Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream (not the slow churned, french or anything else weird, just regular old vanilla bean... the other stuff all has junk in it.) The ingredients here are about as basic as you can get from what I’ve seen.
"Annie's" Anything - they have everything from rabbit crackers (an organic substitute for the "fishy" cracker), to their version of macaroni and cheese... I'd still rather make this meal myself, but for a quick alternative that I don't think will kill anyone on a sporadic basis, I keep this around for the hubby and kiddos... plus they have "bernie-o's" which would be the organic version of spaghetti-O's. While a home cooked meal beats these alternatives a million times over any day of the week, we all have our off days, so at least these are better options for when those come around.
"Amy's" anything- these products will hook you up with everything from frozen foods to soups. They cater to gluten free, milk free and vegetarian diets. Definitely worth a yummy look!
Newman's Own-they have a lot of cookies/crackers in our store. I'm pretty sure they have a long list of products, but for the chocoholic in my home (and no, that isn't me) there's no other cookie choice then their chocolate chip cookies.
DelMonte Jarred Peaches-I seriously thought I wouldn't be able to buy fruit that wasn't sitting in corn syrup or some concentrated something or other. Imagine my elation when I took a gander at the jarred peaches at Costco. They just had regular old-fashioned sugar. Yay! Not only that but they taste SO GOOD. I pulled them out and it tasted just like I'd peeled a peach off the tree, fabuloso!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so love all these kinds of tips. Thanks for the great info.