Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

08 April 2011

Frog and Toad and Magic Treehouse


I picked up some Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel at the library our last time out and was pleasantly surprised. I thought I was picking these up to read aloud, but instead my 5 year old read them to me. Not only did he read them, but he chuckled while he read the story and while telling me where we were in the book (what's not funny about Toad yelling at seeds to grow and then worrying that they're scared at night so he goes out with a light and read poems and sings songs all night to them?). Anyway, these books were fun and improved his word recognition significantly, so I wanted to share that with you! I plan to get them for his birthday this year.

As for what we actually have read aloud, we're about 25 books into the Magic Treehouse Series by Mary Pope Osborne. While I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, these are fun because they're very short and the children can get a little taste of some historical happenings and that sets us off on a learning adventure as they ask more in-depth questions about things. My 2 year old even says "let's find out what happens to Jack and Annie next!" We've been exposed to everything from Mount Vesuvius to the Titanic and the adventures are still coming!

Oh, I also found a book at the book at the library called Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. I like how she laid out her book and there are some really great book recommendations in there as well, and she breaks them down into age groups, which is awesome! I'm going to have to find a copy of this book to come sit on my shelves permanently!

1 comment:

Tristan said...

We like the Magic Tree House books too. I need to grab a Frog and Toad book from the depths of our shelves to see if the 5 and 6 year old want to read it to me.

Another great book about books is Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson. I bought it for my shelves.